Fats fulfil many important functions in our bodies and we cannot survive without them. Fats are blamed for many health problems, but it is now clear that this is a dangerous over-simplification. Some fats are healthy; others are unhealthy.
Healthy fats include the two essential fatty acids (EFAs) alpha linolenic acid and linoleic acid, which must be obtained from the diet and are both present in flax seed oil.
As EFAs are sensitive to light, air (oxygen), and heat, they need to be pressed, packaged, stored and used with care. Otherwise they become oxidised (rancid), which makes them toxic. waihi bush organic farm flax seed oils are treated with the utmost care during pressing and bottling, and are tested for freshness prior to bottling, so you can be confident that they are health-enhancing.
Fish oils are often recommended because they contain the Omega-3 derivatives EPA and DHA rather than the Omega-3 precursor alpha linolenic acid (ALA) found in flax seed oil. The thinking is that if these derivatives are taken directly, the body does not have to make them from the precursor.
It is however beneficial to directly consume some ALA because it is thought to have specific functions in the body.
While there is some controversy about the efficiency of the body's conversion from ALA to EPA, some studies and anecdotal evidence suggesting that flax seed oil helps to reduce inflammation indicate that this occurs adequately in most people.
There are sectors of the population who may have a compromised ability to convert the Omega-3 and Omega-6 precursors.
These include people who suffer from health problems linked to:
- Poor diet
- Vitamin/mineral deficiency
- Alcohol intake
- Hormone imbalance
- And many more
As a vegetarian alternative to fish oil we have formulated flax boost and flax magic. These products contain stearidonic acid and gamma linolenic acid, Omega-3 and Omega-6 derivatives that by-pass the first step in conversion.
flax boost is appropriate for use by anyone with a chronic health condition because their metabolic systems are likely to be less efficient. flax magic is ideal for small children, as the metabolic systems required to perform the conversion are not fully developed in the young. flax bloom is recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Our flax seed oil beats fish on a number of counts:
- Our flax seed is grown organically and is free of pesticides and other toxins so there are no concerns about contamination with dioxins, PCBs or heavy metals
- Flax seed is sustainably farmed and depletes no resources
- Flax seed contains the primary Omega-3 from which all secondary Omega-3s are made
- Flax seed also contains Omega-6 and 9 which fish does not
- Both blackcurrant and fish contain secondary Omega-3, which by pass the first step in the conversion from primary to secondary Omega-3. Blackcurrant also has secondary Omega-6 as does borage. (These are contained in flax boost and flax magic)
- waihi bush organic farm flax seed oil products are a vegetarian source of Omega-3
- Flax seed oil is less fragile than fish oils, which oxidise extremely readily. Furthermore, we handle our products with special care to protect their integrity
- More versatile - it can easily be added to your daily foods
- Pleasant flavour enhances foods - no fishy burps!
- The flax seed used to create our products is grown here in New Zealand, and all manufacturing is done in New Zealand too