Fats fulfil many important functions in our bodies and we cannot survive without them. Fats are blamed for many health problems, but it is now clear that this is a dangerous over-simplification. Some fats and oils are healthy; many others are unhealthy.
Healthy fats include oils containing the two EFAs (Essential Fatty Acids) ALA (Alpha Linolenic Acid - Omega-3) and LA (Linoleic Acid - Omega-6), which must be obtained from the diet and are both present in flaxseed oil. Other healthy oils include the Omega-9 oils, unrefined Olive or Avocado Oils, Coconut oil and Grass-Fed Butter.
As EFAs are sensitive to light, air (oxygen), and heat, they need to be pressed, packaged, stored and used with care. Otherwise they become oxidised (rancid), which makes them taste really bad and are potentially toxic. Waihi Bush Organic Farm Flaxseed Oils are treated with the utmost care during pressing and bottling, and are tested for freshness prior to bottling, so you can be confident that they are health-enhancing.
Fish oils are often recommended because they contain the secondary Omega-3 derivatives EPA (EicosaPentaenoic Acid) and DHA (DocosaHexaenoic Acid), rather than the primary Omega-3 - ALA (Alpha Linolenic Acid) found in Flaxseed Oil. The thinking is that if these derivatives are taken directly, the body does not have to make them from the precursor.
It is however beneficial to directly consume some ALA because it does specific functions in the body.
While there is some misunderstanding about the efficiency of the body's conversion from ALA to EPA and DHA, many studies demonstrate that a healty body is fully capable of making all the EPA and DHA it needs.
There are factors which may contribute to having a compromised ability to convert the primary Omega-3 and Omega-6 into the seconadary derivatives.
- Poor diet
- Vitamin/mineral deficiency
- Alcohol intake
- Hormone imbalance
As a vegetarian/vegan alternative to fish oil we have formulated Flax Boost, Flax Bloom and Flax Magic. These products contain SDA and GLA, the secondary Omega-3 and Omega-6s derivatives that by-pass the first step in conversion. This is the only problematic step, which is controlled by the D6D (Delta 6 Desaturase) enzyme.
Flax Boost and Flax Bloom are appropriate for use by anyone with a chronic health condition because their metabolic systems are likely to be less efficient. Flax Magic is ideal for small children. Flax Bloom is recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Our Flaxseed Oil blends are superior to fish oils on a number of counts:
- Our Flaxseed is grown organically and is free of pesticides and other toxins so there are no concerns about the contamination with dioxins, PCBs or heavy metals that occur in low quality fish oils
- Flaxseed is sustainably farmed and depletes no resources
- Flaxseed contains the primary Omega-3 ALA, from which all secondary Omega-3s are made
- Flaxseed also contains Omega-6 and 9 which fish does not
- Both Blackcurrant, some Hemp Seed Oils and fish contain secondary Omega-3s, which by pass the first step in the conversion from primary to secondary Omega-3. Blackcurrant also has secondary Omega-6 as does Hemp Seed Oil. (These are contained in Flax Boost, Flax Bloom and Flax Magic.)
- Waihi Bush Organic Farm Flaxseed Oil products are a vegetarian source of Omega-3
- Flaxseed oil is less fragile than fish oils, which oxidise extremely readily. Furthermore, we handle our products with special care to protect their integrity
- More versatile - it can easily be added to your daily foods
- Pleasant flavour enhances foods - no fishy burps!
- The Flaxseed used to create our products is grown here in New Zealand, and all manufacturing is done in New Zealand.